Saturday, May 12, 2007

Cooking feijoada today

Today I'm having a little house party. There should be around five or six people here, and I'm cooking some feijoada and making some caipirinhas.
I'll be updating all day today as the cooking process goes on, as the party goes on, and I'll update tomorrow with a comprehensive update. In the meantime, here are some pictures to distract everyone.


Getting started. In here are all of the black beans and a few rib bones and some seasoning to get the beans started off right. I'll cook them on low for a couple hours so everything gets settled in there right. I'll try to extend the cooking the beans process to around 4 hours.

Here are the meat ingredients. Some "salsicha tipo blumenau" (sausage I guess), some slamming fresh bacon, some rib meat. I couldn't find any other pork stuff at the local Mercadorama and I didn't have time to get to the city market. I'll cook this stuff later, several times to tenderize the meat really well and get rid of some of the excess fat.

Here are the rest of the ingredients. I'll have to cook the rice later, obviously, since it says it only takes 20 minutes. I'll pan fry the onion, pepper and garlic. I'll throw in a few tablespoons of the beans after mashing them to make everything thicker. Then I'll throw in a few pieces of the bacon and other pork stuff, then throw it into the beans to give it some of that final flavor.

Caipirinhas! Essential ingredients: cachaça, lime, sugar. That's it. We'll be having one or two of these before the feijoada and then another one or two after to help settle all that pork fat.

So that's that. It should be pretty fun and hopefully enough people show up. This should be a pretty fun event. Stay tuned because I will be updating throughout the day with more pictures and stuff.
Peace.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Looks like fun!
See you soon, I'm off to San Jose in the morning.